Monday 5 April 2010

Cupcake Recipe No. 1 - Queen Cakes

In an effort to keep the kids entertained I baked cupcakes with them. I picked a recipe that I hadn't tried before, but looked interesting; Queen Cakes. Now I would have taken a photo of the cakes to show you, but they didn't stick around that long! I have to confess to eating four of them back to back whilst we watched a movie! Here's the recipe, please try them yourselves and let me know what you think. p.s best served hot! Yum!

Ingredients
115g softened butter of margarine
115g caster sugar
2 large eggs lightly beaten
4 tsp lemon juice
175g self-raising flour
115g currants


Method
I was in charge of measuring, Mika'il had the electric whisk and Zane was appointed official recipe reader and bowl licker! 

Zane got all the ingredients (that he could reach) down from the fridge and cupboards to get us started and I preheated the oven to gas mark 5 (190c/375f) and got out all the utensils. Once all the ingredients were measured out Mika'il beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy and I gave the eggs a quick once over with a whisk in a separate bowl. We then added the eggs in gradually so the mixture didn't curdle, followed by the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the flour. 

The balance of the flour needs to be folded in with a metal spoon so I took over at this point; Mika'il's not know for being delicate with his hands! I then added in the currants to finish it off and the mixture was ready for the cup cases! If it comes out too think you can add a little milk to get a soft dropping consistency.

I used large silicon cup cases and made 12 cupcakes, but if you are using paper cases you should get 15-18 cupcakes. they need to be baked in the oven for 15-20 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Eaten fresh from the oven they are very hot and absolutely delicious! Quick and easy to make these are sure to become a family favourite! I'm making them again this weekend for my nephews 1st birthday party!

No comments:

Post a Comment